DARGAH SHARIF MONUMENTS

Gumbad Mubarak (Dome)
 

Inside the gumbad mubarak, there is a silver 'Chaparkhat' (canopy) inlaid with pieces of mother-of-pearl presented by Emperor Jahangir. Between the four poles supporting this `chaparkhat’, there is silver `katehra’ (railing) with an arch towards the south. There is another outer silver katehra running around the tomb at a distance of about 2 feet. The devotees are led into this space to offer flowers and prayers over the tomb. The ceiling of the dome is covered by a costly velvet chatgiri. A peculiar kind of fascinating aroma prevails in the shrine which inspires the visitors with a spontaneous and irresistible urge for devotion and homage towards the asleep saint. As soon as one enters the interior of the shrine, he feels as if he is in the presence of some exalted soul or mighty spiritual king.


Buland Darwaza

High entrance that was erected by Mahmood Khilji or one of his successors. Before the commencement of Urs Sharif a flag is hoisted on top of this gatewith grand ceremony on the 25th Jamadiulsaani for ushering the 'Urs' of Khawaja Saheb,which starts from 1st of Rajab(The 7th month of lunar Calendar)
 


Badi Deg

On either side of the second gate i.e Buland Darwaza in front of Sahan Chiragh (courtyard lamp),there are two huge Degs (cauldrons for cooking food)fixed into solid masonryin which a palatable mixture of rice sugar, ghee (butter) and dried fruits are cooked for distribution to the public as tabarruk.The pilgrims cook this Deg Individually.
 


Choti Deg

The circumference at the edge of the larger cauldron is 10-1/4 feet.It cooks 70 mounds of rice,
while the smaller Deg takes 28 mounds. One of them was presented by Akbar in 1567 A.D.
The well-to-do pilgrims Individually make these Degs to be cooked.
 


Mehfil Khana

On the west of the Saham Chiragh stands the magnificent building of Samakhana or Mahfilkhana (auditorium with darbar hall) which was built by Nawab Bashir-ud-Dowla Sir Asmaan Jah of Hyderabad Deccan in 1888-91 A.D. This spacious hall is 46 feet square with a gallery of 14 feet running around it.It is used for 6 days only during the annual Urs for religious ‘Mahfils’ in which Qawwali is the chief item of programme commencing at 11 P.M. and ending with Fatiha in the early hours of morning at 4 A.M.
 


Begami Dalaan

Overhanging the principal eastern to the Shrine or Mausoleum, there is a handsome porch known as Begami Daalaan which was built in 1643 AD by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, the favorite daughter of Emperor Shah Jahan. The walls and the beautiful marble pillars of the Begami Daalaan were done in colorful gold in 1888 AD. Later on, the ceiling of this Daalaan was also embellished in gold with the money donated by a Muslim merchant of Bombay. This beautiful portico was used by the Begams or ladies of the Moghul harem during their frequent visits to the shrine.There are two simultaneous entrances to the Shrine through the Begami Daalaan. The doors of both of them are mounted with heavy silverplate carved in ornamental details. The tomb is of white marble inlaid with pieces of precious stones and is daily bestrewed with sandal-paste and Itars (perfumes). It is always covered with very costly  ‘Ghilaafs’ (coverings made of velvet and silk) embroidered with pleasing gold and silver tracings.
 


 

Nizam Gate

Mir Osman Ali Khan, The Nizam of Hyderabad Deccan,erected the main gate of the Dargah Sharif in 1911 A.D.
 


Sandali  Mosque
                This Mosque was built by the Empror Aurangzeb the elder son of Shah Jahan who build the Taj Mahal.

 


Auliya Mosque

The place where Khawaja Sahib stayed for a few days, when he came to Ajmer for the first time,has now been turned into a mosque called Aulia Masjid.It is made of white marble. Devotees use it only for recitation of Holy Quran and thanks giving prayers.
 


Arcot Dalaan

This small hall on the southern side of the Shrine was erected by Nawab Muhammad Ali of Arcot around 1800 for the comfort of the devotees. It is also used for the death rituals by Khadims.



Chilla of Baba Farid Ganj Shakar(R.A)

Situated between Jama Masjid & Sandali Masjid in the premises of Hazrat Khwaja Muinuddin's Dargah at Ajmer. Along the left-hand wall, in the background of the Sandali Masjid there is a small gate which leads down to the under-ground cell in which Hazrat Baba Farid remained in a chilla (secluded prayers) for 40 days in spiritual communion with the Holy Saint of Ajmer.This gate is opened for public Ziarat (visit) on the night of the 5th of Moharram (the date of Baba farid's death)every year when thousands of pilgrims visit the place from all over India to seek his blessings



Shahjehani Mosque

On the south wing of the Mahfil khana stands the Jama Masjid or Shah Jahani Mosque, which is a fine piece of Moghul architecture. All the 99 sacred names of Allah with 33 Quranic verses are beautifully inscribed in the mosque.
 


Jannati Darwaza

This gate too is situated on the western sideof the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Gaiti Ara.The doors of the gate are covered with silver metal.It is opened onlyfour times during the year,viz. twice on Ids (for one day) during theannual Urs (for six days) and on the 6th ofShawwal, the Urs of Khawaja Saheb's Pir.
 


Bibi saheba

This Shrine is of Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Chishty’s (R.A) wife.
 


Victoria tank

In memory of Queen Mary's visit to the Shrine, the roof of the tank was constructed by
 the British Government for the convenience of the worshippers.
 


Akbari Mosque

This Mosque was constructed by Emperor Akbar as a token of his Devotion and Gratitude on the occasion of the birth of prince Salim(Jahangir) in the year 1455 A.D. It is a Square of 140x140x2 feet and its central area is 56 (feets) high. In the centre,there had been a hauz(tank) for wazoo(ablution).Owing to certain resons,the hauz was closed and covered. Now the Mosque is known as Akbari Mosque.At present this place also houses a Quranic Educational Institution to provide religious education to the children.


Langar khana (Free public kitchen)

Langar Khana is a free public kitchen where about 5 mounds of barley meal is cooked
twice a day and distributed to the people without any discrimination.It is said that the only food which
Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Hasan Chishty(R.A) used to have was a morsel of crushed barley.

















 


 

 

 




OLD VIEW OF DARGAH SHARIF


Emperor Jahangir darbar outside OLD DARGAH SHARIF


Chief Moallim Hazrat Khwaja Syed Moinuddin Hasan Chishty(R.A.)
Gaddinashin

Haji Shah Syed Shah Nawaz Chishty
s/o Haji Peer Syed Hasan Chishty
CHISHTY MANZIL (ZIA HOUSE)
P.O.BOX 109,DARGAH AJMER SHARIF(INDIA)
 

  Email :syedshahnawazchishty00@yahoo.com

 Email :shahsahebajmer@gmail.com

back

Urs Ajmer Sharif,khwaja baba,Urs Ajmer,Gharib Nawaz,Ajmer Sharif,khwaja Garib Nawaz, Moinuddin Chishty,Ajmer Sharif,Moinuddin Chishty,Khwaja Baba,Garib Nawaz,Khwaja Gharib Nawaz,Khwaja,Sufi Ajmer,Ajmer Sufi,Khwaja Moinuddin Chishty,Ajmer Chishty,